We will walk you through the steps of flashing Ubuntu Core on a Samsung Artik 5 or 10. At the end of this process, you will have a board ready for production or testing snaps.
(As an alternative, you can also install Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS).
An Ubuntu SSO account is required to create the first user on an Ubuntu Core installation.
- Start by creating an Ubuntu SSO account
- Import an SSH Key into your Ubuntu SSO account on this page. Instructions to generate an SSH Key on your computer can be found here
- Copy the Ubuntu Core image on the SD card by following the installation media instructions ›
- Prepare your Artik to boot from the SD card, by setting the "SW2" switches to 1:on and 2:on
- Insert the SD card
- Connect the 5V power supply to the board, then use the power button on the board to switch it on
- The system will boot then become ready to configure
- The device will display the prompt “Press enter to configure”
- Press enter then select “Start” to begin configuring your network and an administrator account. Follow the instructions on the screen, you will be asked to configure your network and enter your Ubuntu SSO credentials
- At the end of the process, you will see your credentials to access your Ubuntu Core machine:
This device is registered to <Ubuntu SSO email address>. Remote access was enabled via authentication with the SSO user <Ubuntu SSO user name> Public SSH keys were added to the device for remote access.
Once setup is done, you can login with SSH into Ubuntu Core, from a machine on the same network, using the following command:
ssh <Ubuntu SSO user name>@<device IP address>
The user name is your Ubuntu SSO user name, it has been reminded to you at the end of the account configuration step.
- During setup,
console-confwill download the SSH key registered with your Store account and configure it so you can log into the device via
ssh <Ubuntu SSO account name>@<device IP address>without a password.
- There is no default
ubuntuuser on these images, but you can run
sudo passwd <account name>to set a password in case you need a local console login.
Your board is ready to have snaps installed — get started with the
You can install a classic Ubuntu environment on top of Ubuntu Core to have a fully-fledged development environment and develop snaps on target ›
As an alternative to Ubuntu Core, you can also install Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, where you can use your favourite development tools to create and run snaps.
Download and copy the image for your board on an SD card by following the installation media instructions ›.
Before installing Ubuntu, you need to set your Artik to boot from the SD card, to do so, set the "SW2" switches to
Booting the board from the SD Card will start the Ubuntu installer:
- Insert the SD card in your Samsung ARTIK
- Connect the 5V power supply to the board, then use the power button on the board to switch on your Samsung ARTIK
- The system will automatically execute the first stage of installation
- Follow the instructions and enter appropriate options for language, WiFi, location (timezone), and keyboard layout
- Pick a hostname, user account and password
- Wait for the configuration to finish. If you connected to a WiFi network at step 4, it will take several minutes to download and apply additional updates. You can now reboot the system
- Ubuntu is installed. Use your account and password to log in