Here you’ll find a collection of the most interesting questions related to the contest. If you find something that it is not covered there, you can:
- In a nutshell, how does the Ubuntu App Showdown work?
- It’s an app development competition where you can win awesome prizes. You’ve got 3 weeks to develop a cool app and submit it packaged to MyApps. At the end of the contest, a jury will vote and the winners for the Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes will be announced. There will be an additional community vote with extra prizes. Prizes are cool hardware provided by our friends at System76 and Nokia. For more detailed information, please see the question below
- Are there any other rules?
- Yes, check out the detailed Ubuntu App Showdown rules.
- How do I participate in the Ubuntu App Showdown?
- You sign up by submitting your app packaged in a PPA before the deadline (9th July 2012) through the MyApps portal, along with the App Showdown Participation details text file to indicate you want to take part in the contest.
- What are the requirements for an app to be eligible for the contest?
- The application must be new, original content from the author, be Open Source and comply with the App Review Board Guidelines.
- Are app updates allowed?
- Yes, you can submit updates of your app up until the contest end deadline.
- Which Open Source licenses can I use for my app?
- Your app must be Open Source to be eligible for the contest, and you can use any license that complies with the Open Source definition.
- Are there any social media hashtags I can use to promote the contest and my app?
- You can use #ubuntushowdown and #ubuntuappdev.
- Where can I get help with my app if I get stuck?
- There is a growing community of fellow app developers on AskUbuntu, that should be able to help you with technical questions, so we recommend asking your questions on AskUbuntu. You can also use any other of the Ubuntu app developer communication channels.
- I’d love to participate, but I don’t have an idea for an app, where can I get inspiration?
- There is an ongoing community initiative to share app ideas. Pick an idea in the UbuntuAppShowdown subreddit for your app.