PyGtk is the GUI toolkit that Ubuntu Developers use to create Ubuntu Applications.
PyGtk combines the ease of the Python language with the power of the Gtk GUI Toolkit that drives the popular GNOME environment and many applications. PyGtk has widgets for creating windows, dialogs, buttons, toolbars, sliders, text entry fields, everything you could need to create an application for your users. PyGtk also works with advanced controls like GooCanvas for rocking a freeform 2d surface, and allows you to dive down into Pango or gdk if you want to push your app to the limit. PyGtk comes with Glade, a UI designer that makes it fast and easy to lay out you applications GUI.
Quickly Widgets is a package of widgets built on top of PyGtk that make it easy to quickly add core functionality to your application. These widgets include things like grids for displaying data, web cam widgets, a media player widget, and prompts for getting input from users.
Five Reasons to care about PyGtk:
- Powerful layout editor â€“ Glade is the UI designer that makes creating GUIs fast.
- Complete widget toolkit â€“ PyGtk and Quickly Widgets deliver all the GUI Widgets needed to create any application.
- Desktop integration â€“ Native widgets make your app look and act like a real part of the desktop.
- Established technology â€“ PyGtk has had a long history of development and maturity and will be rock solid for your app.
- Multiple language support â€“ if you would prefer to code in something other than Python, you can use PyGtk with C, Java and other languages.