If your app is not free and open source or not targeting Ubuntu devices, there are other ways to publish apps to Ubuntu too:
Commercial apps or proprietary apps at no cost
If you plan to publish commercial apps,
- get your app ready,
- find out how to submit a commercial app,
- get an updated version of your app out there,
- check out our Commercial software FAQ,
- read more about our License key infrastructure.
- our packaging tutorial: part 1 (Get Set Up and Overview of Debian packaging) and part 2 (Packaging Software and Additional notes)
Open source apps at no cost
Publish in a PPA
Publish your package to a Personal Package Archive. This is a good option if your app already uses Debian packaging and you want it to be available immediately.
This article refers to publishing third-party desktop applications packaged with the traditional .deb format.
Ubuntu is migrating to the new .snap format to easily and securely distribute apps.
If you are looking for information on how to publish an app for mobile or IoT devices, check out the current documentation instead ›