Today we are announcing our second Ubuntu App Showdown! Contestants will have six weeks to build and publish their apps using the new Ubuntu SDK and Ubuntu Touch platform. Both original apps and ported apps, native and HTML 5, will qualify for this competition.
The winners of this contest will each receive an LG Nexus 4 phone running Ubuntu Touch with their application pre-installed. Furthermore, each of the winners will have an opportunity to have their app included in the default Ubuntu install images for phones and tablets.
All valid entries will also become available for install on Ubuntu Touch devices from the Apps lens in the Dash, using the new Click packages and MyApps submission process.
The jury will be composed by a team of five judges:
- Jono Bacon, Ubuntu Community Manager
- Joey-Elijah Sneddon, writer and editor-in-chief of OMG!Ubuntu
- Lisette Slegers, User Experience Designer at Canonical
- Nekhelesh Ramananthan, Ubuntu Touch Core App developer
- Bill Filler, Engineering Manager for the Phone & Tablet App Team
The jury will judge applications according to the following criteria:
- General Interest – apps that are of more interest to general phone users will be scored higher. We recommend identifying what most phone users want to see, and identifying gaps that your app could fill.
- Features – a wide range of useful and interesting features.
- Quality – a high quality, stable, and bug-free application experience.
- Design – your app should harness the Ubuntu Design Guidelines so it looks, feels, and operates like an Ubuntu app.
- Awareness / Promotion – we will award extra points to those of you who blog, tweet, facebook, Google+, and otherwise share updates and information about your app as it progress.
If you are not a programmer and want to share some ideas for cool apps, be sure to add and vote apps on our reddit page.
How To Enter
The contest is free to enter and open to everyone.
The six week period starts on the Wed 7th August 2013!